Being Creative is My Passion

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy Plants = Spring Mulch

Your Gay Husband Tip of the Day:
Mulch and Fertilize NOW for a Happy Garden All Season

Spring Mulch
 Spring Mulching
I love being surrounded by beautiful things. The one thing I have learned that it does not happen itself. Take the time to give your plants what they need to thrive and the will give you back 10 fold.
COST - Organic Mulch $3.88 per 2 cu feet bag [I used 10 bags]
TIME - 1 hour
Level of difficulty 2 on a scale of 1-5 due to labor
Cedar Mulch
I use a Cedar Mulch that does not float away with water. It is able to do this because it is shaved rather than chips. Using cedar will also assist in pest invasion. This is critical if you are doing organic gardening.








Wild Iris
This is a great plant that comes back every year. It will get about 24"-30" high and stay in a compact area up to 12"-14" in diameter. Add up to 4" of mulch surrounding the plant. The plant may "look" dead but it is just sleeping.






Colored Calla Lilies
Repeat adding 4" of mulch to all of your plants. I recommend adding 4" of mulch to your entire yard excluding grass areas. Not only will this help feed your plants it will keep down on pests, keep soil moist and reduce weeds BIG time. Once your are done give your garden a heavy watering and pour yourself a tall cold drink...You deserve it.







Take the time on a beautiful day and give back to your plants...and they will give back to you. The other benefit you reap from gardening is a workout. Yep you burn lots of caleries so you can eat more...
Happy Gardening.
Til Later,
Your Gay Husband

2 comments:

  1. I love gardening:) Now that I have my house, I'm going to plant a herb garden:) Our weather is crappy right now but my iris, roses, are ready to bloom and my orchids and lilies are growing at full speed:) I love and miss you Kev:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting. I have been germinating seeds for a couple of weeks. I have planted herbs and veggies. I am planting them in a stackable planter. I love gardening and you too.

    ReplyDelete