Being Creative is My Passion

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oatmeal Crisps - Vintage Recipe

Your Gay Husband Tip of the Day :
Look to Vintage Cookbooks for Great Recipes
Oatmeal Crisps



Oatmeal Crisps - Vintage Recipe
Calling all kids! You'll love these good cookies with a mug of milk...is the way this recipe starts in my 1953 edition of Better Homes and Garden NEW Cookbook. That's right 1953. I love Vintage Cookbooks. My friends and family for years have bought me cookbooks. There is just one problem I don't use them. I like to make up my own recipes for the most part or have one handed down except for baking. I always use a recipe. I love this cookbook because it answers almost every question that a cook might have. They are always putting out updated versions of the cookbook but they are not the same. I have a few other Vintage Cookbooks that I hold close as well. If you ever run across a cookbook from the 1950's you must buy it.

Cream Butter and Sugars
1 cup shortening [you can use butter]
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats



Mixed Cookie Dough
You can add nuts, crasins or choc chips if you like. Add 1/2 cup each. I added mini choc chips and Crasins.
These are all optional  ingredients. This recipe calls for shortening [vintage] but you can use butter if you want. I used the shortening and they were out of this world.







Wrap Into a Log Shape 2"
Thoroughly cream shortening [butter] and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. sift together flour, salt, and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Stir in rolled oats and any other of your optional ingredients such as nuts etc.










Cut into 1/4" - 1/2" Coins
Form dough in a roll [you can make 2 rolls so it is easier to handle]
1 1/2" - 2" in diameter. Wrap in saran wrap or wax paper and put in fridge for at least 30 minutes. I put mine in for 2 hours.










2 Sizes
With a sharp knife, slice cookies about 1/4" - 1/2" thick. Bake on ungreased cooky sheet in moderate oven [350 degrees] 10 minutes or till lightly browned. Make about 5 dozen.








Masterpiece
I made a couple of different sizes. For the bite size cookie I cut my disk into 4 pieces. It make it feel like you are not eating so much because they are so small and harmless. Cooking times will vary a few minutes depending on size. Keep your oven light on so you won't need to keep opening the door to check on them






I'm telling you they were sooooo good. I only cooked what you saw here and froze the rest for later. Prep once and enjoy a multitude of times.
Let me know how you like them....
Til Later,
Your Gay Husband

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I'll have to try them. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make these! Those oatmeal chocolate chippers from Paradise Bakery are my FAVORITE. I would eat 100 of them in a day. I'm trying to find the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete