Being Creative is My Passion

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Now That's What I'm Talkin' About - New York Style Cheesecake

Your Gay Husband Tip of the Day :
Make Enough to Freeze for Your Next Fix

New York Style Cheesecake with Fresh Blackberries and Chambord Sauce
 Now That's What I'm Talkin' About -
New York Style Cheesecake
I am not even kidding you when I say this is by far the BEST New York Style Cheesecake I have ever made. It reminded me of Cheesecake we would get on our trips to New York. The crust is like a buttery short bread that is crisp and has a slight hint of lemon. You can add any topping you want or none at all. It is perfect just the way it is. I topped my cheesecake with Fresh Blackberries and a Chambord and Blackberry sauce This is a Big cheesecake so if there are any left overs you can freeze them for a snack later.
This recipe is for 12- 15 people.
COST - $20 not including Chambord
TIME - prep 30 min and cook 1 hour ish
LEVEL of DIFFICULTY - 2 on a scale of 1-5 [you must follow recipe]

Cutting in Butter
Cheesecake Supreme [New York Style]
Crust:
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 cup butter
1 slightly beaten egg yolk
1/4 tsp vanilla



I made 2 batches of the crust. I just love it ! I used 1 full batch for the bottom and 1 full batch for the sides. It only calls for 1 batch for both the sides and the bottom. If you do it with the 1 batch method you should expect the crust to only come up about 1 inch on the sides. Still good...just NOT as good.
Cheesecake Filling
 Filling:
5 8oz packs of cream cheese
1/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp grated lemon peel
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
5 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup whipping cream



Patting Crust to Sides
Make Crust:
combine first 3 ingredients. Cut in butter till mixture is crumbly. Add egg yolk and vanilla. Blend thoroughly. Pat 1/3 or the dough [or in my case...1 full batch] on the bottom of a 9" spring form pan. [I used a 10" pan] with sides removed. Bake in hot oven 400 degrees for about 8 minutes or till golden; cool. Attach side to bottom, butter, and pat remaining dough on sides. Because It used 1 full batch for the sides the crust came up to the top of the pan. Once I poured in the filling,  I pushed the dough down til it was slightly above it.





Before Baking
Make Filling:
Let cream cheese set out at room temperature to soften [1-1 1/2 hours]. Beat creamy. Add vanilla and lemon peel. Mix next 3 ingredients, gradually blend into cheese. Add eggs and egg yolks one at a time, beating after each just to blend. Gently stir in whipping cream.Turn into crust-lined pan.




After Baking
Bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes; reduce heat to 300 degrees and continue baking for an additional 55 minutes. Remove from oven; cool. Loosen sides with spatula 30 minutes. Remove sides at the end of 1 hour. Allow to cool 2 hour longer. I love it after it has cooled overnight in the fridge. But really who am I kidding...any temp is good. I topped the cheesecake with fresh blackberries and a Blackberry Chambord Sauce. I combined 1 cup seedless Blackberry Jam with 1/4 cup of Chambord [blackberry liqueur]. Mix together and pour over Cheesecake. You can do it all at once and serve it that way or make individual plates.

Next time you want to impress someone ... MAKE THIS ! or if you have 2 days off in a row and need and fix. Either way I hope you make this ASAP because I know you are going to love it. It was HEAVENLY !
Happy Baking and Eating.
Til Later,
Your Gay Husband




2 comments: