Being Creative is My Passion

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Green Living with Indoor Plants

YourGayHusband Tip of the Day:
Take care of your plants and they will take care of you
Winter care for Indoor Plants.
I don't know about you but I love being surrounded by plants. If I could live in a green house, I would. Back in the early 90's when Paula Abdul dominated the airwaves, I was working at a Nursery at the SF Flower Mart...and LOVING it. This is where I learned how to care for plants.








During the winter months it is important to cut back on the watering of your inside plants. I do 10 days to 2 weeks between watering during winter. This will vary on the plant. Just make sure it is dry before watering again. The plants will go into a dormant stage and NOT grow as much and maybe lose a few leaves. This is normal.




This is a perfect time to give your plants some attention before spring. Rinse your plants off completely by either putting the smaller plants in the shower or spraying the larger plants with a spray bottle.






Every so often you need to dust your plants. The plants with smaller leaves or cactus can be dusted with a feather duster. For your broad leaf plants, I recommend taking a damp cloth and wiping each leaf. If you see any brown edges, go ahead and trim this off with a sharp pair of scissors. At the nursery they would use a sharp straight edge razor. This made them look perfect.





Give back to your plants and they will provide not only a beautiful environment but they will help by providing Oxygen and keeping your house fresh.
Lets get to it.
Til Later,
YourGayHusband

No comments:

Post a Comment