Being Creative is My Passion

Saturday, March 26, 2011

BBQ Turkey Legs

Your Gay Husband Tip of the Day :
Use leftovers and WoW the Crowd
BBQ Turkey Leg with Smashed Carrots and Potato

BBQ Turkey Leg Dinner
It seems like every time we go to a street fair or the TX state fair we inevitably get a BBQ Turkey leg. We both love them. I make them a few times a year to mix up my BBQ repertoire. I originally BBQ'ed these Turkey legs when I was BBQing Chicken Breasts for dinner. Yep I ended up Freezing the Turkey Legs for this quick and easy meal. The entire meal consisted of Turkey Legs, Smashed Carrots and Potatoes with a Fresh Pineapple and Strawberry salad.
TIME - 30 minutes
COST - $10 for 4 people
Level of Difficulty - 2 on a scale of 1-5

Turkey Legs on Grill
I prepared and cooked them the same way as the chicken. Click here for how to. They turned out perfect. The key is to Marinate, and cook on a LOW temp between 200-250 degrees for about 1 hour to 11/2 hours per pound. Once these were cooked, I cooled them and put them in the freezer wrapped in foil for later.






OK it is time to reheat. This is how I do it...Remove Turkey from freezer, preheat oven to 350 degrees and put foiled wrapped Turkey legs in the oven as it preheats and leave it alone for 30 mins. Once complete add your Favorite BBQ sauce. You can put the BBQ sauce on mid reheating and close foil. This will make it steam and fall off the bone.

Smashed Carrots and Potatoes
I swear I could eat mashed potatoes for every meal if it wouldn't kill me with all of those calories. Here is a great way to mix it up and add a healthy touch. Wash and cut equal amount so of carrots and potatoes and cooked them in boiling water until fork tender. Make sure to cut carrots a bit smaller than the potatoes because they take a little longer to cook.







Use a Potato Smasher
Drain and add butter, milk, salt and pepper to taste them smash with a potato smasher. Do NOT over smash, you want them lumpy. They taste so yummy. The carrots add a little sweetness to the dish and brightens up your plate. Great for Pot-Lucks.








Better with Butter
You can use this method with several veggies. So kick back and enjoy some left overs as if they were new. You can also freeze the Smashed  Carrots and Potatoes to use at a later date. I am always looking for time savers for making healthy meals. I made a small fruit salad to accompany this meal. A nice cold Beer would be a perfect to wash it down.





I hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
Til Later,
Your Gay Husband

No comments:

Post a Comment