Being Creative is My Passion

Monday, March 14, 2011

DIY: Beverage Fridge Make Over

Your Gay Husband Tip of the Day:
"Re New" before you "Buy New" and SAVE

Finished Project
From Drab to Fab
We have this old beverage fridge on our patio. It was being tossed out so we took it. It has been a great fridge and perfect for that cool beverage when you are out by the pool. Most of the Patio is Black and White with some Lemongrass and Sand accents. The fridge was dated to say the least so I decided to give it a face lift and paint it Black. It looks NEW...Really !
COST - $15
Time - 1 hour not including dry time
Level of Difficulty - 2 on scale of 1-5
Rustoleum Epoxy Appliance Paint
To get started I made sure to clean fridge thoroughly and lightly sanded any rough areas. Once it is clean, tape off the areas that you don't want painted such as fixtures or handles. You don't want it to loo like you poured paint over it. I used RustOleum Primer [I use the left overs form my "frame" project and Epoxy Spray Paint that is made for appliances. I love this paint. You can by these at Home Depot.







Primer Coat

Make sure to apply 2 coats of primer. This is key for ensuring adherence of the Epoxy Paint. Follow directions for dry times. I used a gray base primer that is made for dark tones. Take your time and don't miss a spot.







First Coat Epoxy Paint
When painting make sure that you are in a well ventilated area. I use a mask and goggles. Better be safe than sorry. After you apply the first coat of the Epoxy Spray Paint it will look splotchy. It will look splotching for the first 2 coats. I recommend applying 3-4 coats for best results. It feels and cleans just like a NEW fridge.






Finished Beverage Fridge
This was a Fun project. I only needed a little help with moving the fridge to an open space for painting. It makes such a BIG difference. It's funny how you can get used to something if you live with it everyday, so why not add a bit of newness to your environment without spending the Big Bucks.






I hope this inspires you to make something of yours go from Drab to Fab.
Til Later,
Your Gay Husband

No comments:

Post a Comment