Being Creative is My Passion

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Starting VEGGIE Seeds

Your Gay Husband Tip of the Day :
Share your seeds...you will have Tons
Everything you Need
Starting VEGGIE Seeds
I love fresh VEGGIES the best when you grow them yourself by seed. They always taste sweeter and are more intense in flavor. I just started my seeds a couple of weeks ago. I store my left over seeds in individual zip lock bags in a dry location. I will be planting more seeds later as well as giving some away to friends and family to start their own VEGGIE garden.

Preparing Empty Egg Carton
I love re-purposing things, here I use left over egg cartons. Before I add soil I make sure to cover the large holes on the Tops with paper towel. I only use 1 layer of paper towel. The egg cartons are great because they are bio degradable and can really be planted directly into the ground if you wanted too.






Time Frame and Seed Map
I can't stress it enough to make a Map of your seeds when planting. It can help to right on the egg carton top and bottom for easy reference. I have also noted  the next time I want to start more seeds. I am starting the next round 3 weeks later to ensure long production time. You can do this a few times during the growing season as long as you have enough space.







Planting Seed
Add soil that you have pre moistened to the top of the egg carton. Poke a hole about a 1/2" deep and put in 2-3 seeds and cover. I plant more than I will use for back up if for some strange reason one won't grow. This will also allow you to keep the strongest. If I need 1 I plant 2 and so on. The soil is JIFFY MIX made for Starting Seeds and it only cost $3.97 at Home Depot.








Water Seeds
 At this time you will want to water thoroughly. This sounds easier than it is. Here is the deal. The soil is VERY airy and will blow away extremely easy until wet. I use a spray bottle. It takes a little longer but I am 100% certain everything is wet and not one seed was missed. Put in a warm place. You can also lightly tent them with plastic wrap for added humidity. I have mine on top of a freezer in the garage.







4 Days Later
Here they are just 4 days later. It is NOT too late to get your garden going....so go for it.







Happy Gardening !
Til Later,
Your Gay Husband

No comments:

Post a Comment