Being Creative is My Passion

Monday, March 21, 2011

Stacked Planter for Veggie Garden

Your Gay Husband Tip of the Day :
When lacking space to Plant ... Go Up !

6 Level Stacked Planter

Stacked Planter for Veggie Garden
I have been having an inching to plant a veggies garden but I didn't want to spend a lot of Money of give up the Planting space in my Yard. Through the years I have used planters for several things from annuals to trees. If you keep your eyes open you can find them for free. Neighbors are always tossing their old things out or a thrift store or garage sales are great places to look. I will take a pot and referbish it. Needless to say I already had most of these pots. I only had to buy the one on the top and it was only $3.97...Not Bad.

Paint Supplies
I started will a 6' long piece of rebar. I threaded the pots through the rebar [filling each pot with soil as you go] until you reach the top. If the pots don't have a hole make sure to drill at least 3. If it does have holes already but not where you need them if you tip the pot...then drill some. I used Rustoleum Paint from Home Depot. The entire project took less than 2 cans. I used 2 complimenting colors to make them look more fluid. In this case Gray.






Potting Soil
I used Scotts Potting Soil. I recommend putting at least 2-3 inches of 3/4" gravel at the bases to ensure proper drainage. You don't want the bottom pots to be wetter than the other pots. [you can possibly rot the roots] After plants are in the soil you can top with 2 inches of mulch. I use cedar to reduce insects and weeds while holding in moisture.





Tomato Cages
Here I have used 2 Tomato Cages to provide more upward planting. The one on the Top Right will have a Cherry Tomato Plant, while the one on the bottom left will contain Cucumbers. I also have twill up the fence for additional room to grow forthe cucumbers. 
This was a Fun project. I can't wait for Veggies.
COST - $40 I had most of the Pots
TIME - 2-3 Hours
Level of Difficulty - 2.5 on Scale of 1-5





I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Happy Gardening !...and remember you burn calories Gardening !
Til Later,
Your Gay Husband

No comments:

Post a Comment