Being Creative is My Passion

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Orange Chicken and more ...

YourGayHusband Tip of the Day:
Always start with FRESH ingredients

Orange Chicken
Does anyone love Chinese food ? How about Orange Chicken ? The other night I wanted some Chinese food so I made Orange Chicken and it was fantastic.

On a scale of 1-5, I RATE this a 2. several steps but still easy to follow instructions.

Total COST for 4 was under $5

Total TIME excluding marination - 20 min

Here is how I made it...


Orange Chicken
1 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp Orange Juice [I prefer fresh OJ]
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
1/3 cup vinegar [I use white wine vinegar for the mild taste]
2 1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce [I use low sodium]
zest of 1 medium size Orange
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp Ginger [I like fresh grated]

1/2 tsp garlic [ I like fresh]
2 Tbsp thinly slice Green Onion
1/4 tsp Red Pepper flakes
Add the above ingredients except green onion to a med size sauce pan [2-4 quart size.]

Turn heat to medium and bring to a boil. Cool for 15-30 minutes.
Pour 1 cup of sauce in bag with *chicken and put in fridge for at least 2 hours.

* For the Chicken you will need 4 split Chicken Breasts cut into 1 inch cubes.

After 2 hours drain chicken and lightly flour. Add 2 Tbsp of oil to a medium hot large skillet or Wok. Add salt and pepper to chicken and lightly brown. Remove from pan and set aside.

I like mine with veggies so I use
2 Zucchini squash and cut into 1' match stick pieces
2 carrots slices 1/8" thick circles

Then take the remaining sauce and put on medium heat and bring to a boil. Add 3 Tbsp corn starch and cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. This thickens the sauce.

Wipe pan/wok clean and add 2 tbsp oil and heat in High. Toss in your Veggies and cook for 1 minute, add your chicken and cook for 1 minute, add the sauce and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat and serve on a bed of White or Brown rice.

*When I make chicken for a dish like this I use a family pack that usually contains at least 8 split chicken breasts. I will put olive oil on the chicken with some salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook them in the oven on 400' for 20-25 minutes. I will use this left over chicken during the week for Salads, Nachos, or Pasta and Veggies.

I hope you enjoy the Orange Chicken, it has always been a big hit.
Til Later,
YourGayHusband

No comments:

Post a Comment